Rock ‘N Roll and Folk Performers
Jun 24, 2018 - Jun 3, 2018 | Themes: Photo Journalism
The Legend series by Barrie Wentzell.
"Rock 'N Roll, '60s and '70s by Barrie Wentzell"
Photo exhibit of signed, limited edition black and white prints.
Rock icons such as David Bowie, Alice Cooper, The Moody Blues, Roger Daltry, Elton John, Robert Plant, Joe Cocker, James Brown, Leonard Cohen, Ramblin’ Jack Elliot, Little Richard, plus Ayers, Nico, Cale, and Eno, and more.
- was born May 25, 1942 in Durham, northern England. Barrie was educated in Kent and London, attending Maidstone Art School.
- became an avid scrabble player under the tutelage of author, performer, wit and philosopher, Quentin Crisp.
- continued on to work at Color Applications, a photo studio in the Belgravia area of London learning photography basics from 1961 to 1962. It was then upon meeting his soon to become mentor, photojournalist Maurice Newcombe, that he would be inspired to pursue a photographic career of his own.
- had a chance encounter in 1965 with the young Diana Ross. The image he made of this yet-to-be global super-star became a riveting front cover of The Melody Maker, England’s most renowned music publication, which caught the attention of Bob Houston, the assistant editor at the time. Houston contacted Barrie and signed him on as exclusive chief photographer for the paper.
- went on to capture images for the Melody Maker from 1965 - 1975, one of the most important decades in the history of popular music, photographing many unknown musicians who would later become legends and household names.
- bandoned his Soho studio, leaving photography and the longest running party behind to move to the Isle of Wight and pursue a completely different direction. Today, he continues to contribute his work to exhibitions.
- lives and works in Toronto, Canada.
All prints are signed, embossed with the Barrie Wentzell seal, limited editions with two separate appraisals. Each print has an archival mat/frame with Tru-Vue Museum Glass. Once you invest in an artwork, you take it home, and The Gallery will exhibit another Rock ’N Roll star. Priceless!
- Related Artists:
- Barrie Wentzell